Susan K. Medina, Partner
Ms. Medina became an attorney in 1982 following earning her law degree from University of California, Los Angeles School of Law. Ms. Medina initially began working as a Social Worker for Los Angeles County following earning her Masters in Social Work, also from UCLA. Ms. Medina was drawn to social work as a means to help those who most needed it. Growing up with a father who was a disabled World War II veteran, and seeing first hand the difficulties he faced, Ms. Medina understood how important the educational, financial, medical and social services were to those in need.
Ms. Medina also learned first-hand from her father the importance of service to the community, particularly the work of veterans in rebuilding their community following the War. However, after several years of working as Social Worker, Ms. Medina realized that her position did not give her the power that she needed to really help people. That is when Ms. Medina decided to become a lawyer.
After completing law school, Ms. Medina began training Social Workers and providing legal consultations through her work with the UCLA School of Social Work Child Welfare Training Center. This encompassed training personnel from California as well as Arizona, Nevada, and Hawaii. While Ms. Medina enjoyed this work, she wanted to return to her home and family in the Central Valley.
Knowing that the work she wanted to do would require experience in handling trials, Ms. Medina accepted a position with the Fresno County Public Defender’s office after becoming an attorney. Ms. Medina worked several years with the Public Defender’s office developing the trial skills that she brings to her clients today.
Following working for the Public Defender’s office, Ms. Medina began working for the State Compensation Insurance Fund, learning workers’ compensation law from the employers’ side. Recognizing her experience and dedication, Ms. Medina was hired by the firm to develop and manage a workers’ compensation division. Within a short time Ms. Medina showed that she was a valuable asset to the firm and became a partner.
Today, Ms. Medina continues to work for those that are in need of help, providing them with the dignity and compensation they deserve.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, CA, 1980
- M.S.W., University of California, School of Social Work, Los Angeles, CA, 1973
- B.A., California State University, Fresno, Fresno, CA, 1971
- Fresno County Bar Association
- California Applicant Attorneys Association, Member of Board of Directors
- California Rural Legal Assistance, Member of Board of Directors
- California Applicant Attorneys Association Winter Convention January 2013 – moderator/presenter – New Ethical Consideration Under Senate Bill 863
- Appeared on local television talk-shows discussing workers’ compensation and social security law
- Volunteer with Central California Legal Services – providing training regarding the handling of workers’ compensation cases
- San Joaquin Memorial High School Guild Member
- Golf Coach, Our Lady of Perpetual Help